Monday, August 20, 2012

Niyama: Santosha (contentment)

Our next Niyama is called Santosha. The basic idea here is to find contentment in your circumstances. I love this. It’s so very Biblical. The apostle Paul said, “I’ve learned, whatever state I’m in, to be content”. It’s also very relevant. Take a look at your life. Are you content?

I have to admit that I’m not always content. I’m much more so now than in the past. I look at my wonderful husband, my sweet animals, and my amazing job, and a great sense of peace takes over. But then life happens, and I’m thrown headlong into wanting something to change. I want a bigger house, more money, more free time, more time with my friends & family, more, more, more…

Thankfully, through prayer & practice, I’m usually able to come back to contentment.

Santosha reminds me that this is enough. That now is enough. That I am enough.

Today, look at the areas of your life which seem to nag at you. Look at the “if only”s with a critical eye, then look at the present moment and find whatever happiness is waiting for you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment